Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New World Order

Something is wrong with kids these days. Really, really wrong. In the past week I have met two young folk (read: under the age of thirty) who have never heard of New Order. Note: not 'Do you like New Order?' but 'Do you have even the faintest idea who I'm talking about?' The magnitude of the current crisis is apparent when I tell you that one ignorant child only knew about the Smiths when we told him one of their songs had been covered as the theme tune for trash tv series Charmed. So listen up all you skinny jeaned hipster doofuses, don't try telling me 'the eighties style is so cool', I will tell you right now what's cool and it's not watching you struggle on your new singlespeed.

I'm tagging all my ladies to list their top pop culture moments, those things that got you through your tortured adolescence.

Here we go:

  • The Smiths - oh Morrissey and your hearing aid and your gladioli waving! There is indeed a light that never goes out. My favourite band (and most people will tell you I haven't listened to anything new since).
  • 1982: Out of the Blue - my first ever album bought by my mum as a Christmas present. Go Flock of seagulls! Go mum!
  • Going to a pub to watch real musicians play real live music - didn't have to be good music, of course. I don't think I could bear this now.
  • Pretending you couldn't sleep so you could stay up and watch All Creatures Great and Small with your mum - is this normal??
  • Bizarre Love Triangle - that's a New Order song for you young folk.
  • James Spader telling Molly Ringwald 'you're such a bitch' in Pretty in Pink.
  • Weekends when there was a real Saturday afternoon matinee - an Elvis film followed by Doris Day or Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.
  • Running through the sprinklers on a hot day.
  • Reading anything and everything by Enid Blyton (your mum's copies from her childhood) and wishing you could go on hols and drink lashings of ginger beer.
  • Rupert Bear and egg sandwiches for proper afternoon tea (lacy table cloths a must).
  • Flouncing around in your nana's frocks and pretending you were Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.
Hmm... reading these I'm thinking that perhaps 'pop culture' isn't the best phrase. I seem to have spent my time imagining I was growing up in a quaint English village. But over to you ladies, now it's your turn (and that includes you, mum). I promise that the 80s will never again be mentioned in this blog.

6 comments:

Sailor Lily said...

reading my Mum's copies of Famous Five.
my Nanna serving semi frozen Sarah Lee pinepapple cheesecake (like a splice ice-cream only better.)
My treehouse cause it had a tuckshop made out of an ice-cream container nailed to a branch filled with stolen chocolate biscuits.
doing underwater somersaults til I nearly passed out.
'blue-opal' lipstick.
and later- dancing on the revolving dancefloor to 'you spin me right round'by Dead or Alive.
Tears for Fears, Nick Kershaw, Spandau Ballet and the song 'golden Brown'

PROUD WOMAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PROUD WOMAN said...

I've gotta start previewing comments before i hit the publish button - sorry, last one had spelling errors (and i'm pedantic!!!!)

oooh, not fair... my tortured adolescence was long before the 80s...

remember reading my mum's copies of Lance Horner's Falconhurst series (ahh, but that was the 60s)

oooh, the 80s - what got me through...

took lots of drugs

made coconut and bamboo bongs and sold them at markets (very therapeutic)

spent many evenings watching live bands in pubs - dragon, hunters and collectors (there were so many) - getting drunk and taking more drugs

watched countdown - carsons law - gp - sweet and sour - good aussie 'dramas' (soaps??)...

fell in love with melissa etheridge - couldn't get enough of watching her and listening to her songs "bring me some water", "similar features" and "like the way i do"

moved to the country (metcalfe, then tallarook, then snake valley) - enjoyed the company of cats, dogs, goats, sheep and chooks - enjoyed the neighbourly visits of kangaroos and wallabies and wombats and cockatoos and so many more critters...

learned the joys of solitude, peace and serenity

Curvy Kitty said...

You don't have to talk about the 80s (god knows I don't enjoy it!) I'm interested in hearing about your 'formative years'!

donnasoowho said...

I don't think I was really into popular culture in the 80s becos. that was in the middle of the 'burning non-christian records and literature' phase of our house. Although prior to that I remember mum had a Bread record, and Sharon O'Neill - that she played on the fancy record player that looked like it was in a big box with knobs on the front.

We got our first colour TV in the 80s although we weren't allowed to watch the A Team. We did watch the Love Boat and MacGyver and my dad would buy as caramel corn to eat while we were watching. We had matching bean bags.

SMURFS.

And we liked Beauty Pageants.

The first bands etc I was into were Belinda Carlisle and Mel and Kim. And later NKOTB. So I probably wasn't super cool (unlike now).

I had all of the Famous Five but not the Secret Seven and all the Enid Blytons about the Magic Faraway Tree and circuses etc. And also Trixie Beldons.

Didn't start going to see live music until I went to uni.

Never listened to the Smiths either (funnily I had no idea you liked them - perhaps the Spice Girls CD threw me off?). Although I know you like the Bon and Guns n Roses and the Best of Michael Jackson.

Bouncing on the trampoline and playing skipping and elastics (I could do over heads - becos. I was massively tall then not like now).

Playing with Daisy, Sindy and Barbie (Sindy had the 'townhouse' but my one has a horse). They all had to get married to the one poor old Ken doll.

larrythelibrarian said...

TP saw the smiths live at the Camden Palace an experience i will always envy. ps Morrisey's latest CD is really good