Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hellzapoppin!

I was the first person at work yesterday so had the joy of putting on some Tommy Dorsey and shimmying round the library in the dark. Got so jazzed I decided to go back to dance classes with the fabulous Swing Patrol. During the day my enthusiasm ebbed a little and I started to fret that I'd forgotten how to dance, that my hair would look funny (or worse - fall down!) or my hands would go all sweaty and I'd be the partner the leads would long to avoid. Mr Chairman got all stern and shooed me out of the house so I got to class with just enough time to spare for a fresh round of fretting. Was feeling a bit lonesome because I didn't see anyone that I knew, even the teachers were unfamiliar. Once the music started all was perfectly swell. We did a forties Charleston, which I don't love as much as the early crazy style but things are getting all bouncy and big and loose and it's a great deal of fun. Now, I'm not the fanciest dancer out there but I do think I can be trusted to put one foot in front of the other, which was more than some of the dear fellows could do last night. Truth be told I found the class a little simple: we didn't learn many steps and there was a great deal of phaffing around that may have been awesome fun for the twenty-something class but left this old hoofer getting a bit impatient. And of course, when I start getting impatient I'm apt to get all hoity toity I-know-what-I'm-doing-don't-mess-me-around: which is pure balderdash! For one glorious moment I thought I might attain the heady heights of joining a level 2 class instead! Oh glory! But I realise that this is just a wee bit ambitious. Nothing for it but to do the long slog through Charleston through to the six beat Lindy Hop and dream of the day I make it to eight beat Lindy heaven. I used to be in awe of those bold class mates who'd adventurously plonk themselves into the higher level classes. I guess I'm waiting for the day someone will tap me on the shoulder and say 'Move along sister, it's level 2 for you!'

1 comment:

PROUD WOMAN said...

i missed you shimmying around the library!!!! what a pleasant way to start the day... a bit of swing in the morning maybe?