Monday, October 12, 2009

What's the deal in Dodge City?

Drinkin', gamblin' and killin'. Mostly killin'.

I've got the flu and I'm treating myself to a movie marathon. First up Dodge City with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. I'm developing a sneaking liking for Mr Flynn - he's such a smartaleck! Really, the man's impossible. Dodge City (1939) also stars the handsome Bruce Cabot as the outlaw who rules the roost and Anne Sheridan also crops up in an early role, woefully underutilised.

As a western, DC pretty much does all that it needs to: there's a cattle stampede, a gunfight on a steam train, a racing stagecoach and runaway horses and the best bar room brawl ever! It's all filmed in beautiful technicolour and the early scenes are of golden prairies stretching out to lilac hills on the horizon. This was pretty early use of the colour process so the results are surprisingly muted and earthy (remember, this is the same year as the Wizard of Oz). I must mention here that the costumers really outdid themselves in the shirt department: I was eyeing off Miss de Havilland's gingham numbers most enviously and there's a lovely display of neat and clean plaids in a beautiful array of colours. I really must be sick if that's the highlight of the film but I do find myself with a burning desire for a peach silk neckerchief.

1 comment:

donnasoowho said...

oh dear hope your flu gets better!