Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

Yay for Branch Team Leader Chairman Katherine! and Lyle!

Well, after rehearsing a speech for when I got told I hadn't got the job - turns out I did get the job. So that is a great big hurrah! and thank goodness! A big thanks for all those who sent me good tips and good thoughts. So now I feel like I've got a proper job in the library, one where I can settle in and get things done. Needless to say, I'm a little scared. But tonight I am on holiday, the library folk putting in an extra big effort to get things looking spick and span. Our fridge is full of food, I've had a bath and treated myself to a face mask (thanks Chairman Soo!) and hope to finish watching an Errol Flynn movie. Holidays are good.

I did get one present early, something so charming that I just have to share.



These are cricket carrying cases from the fantastic cricket and flower market in Shanghai. I was there a few years ago and - strangely - didn't buy anything. Luckily a friend was in the city on business and managed to find the time, only finding the market once we had txted him directions from Google Maps. Yay modern technology! The cases have all sorts of secret sliding bits so that you can hide or display your treasured beastie. The compartments are pretty small so I imagine them holding some of the exquisite little crickets I saw at the market, all new leaf green and elegant.
In Chinese art the cricket symbolizes summer, courage, and a fighting spirit.

I read on someone's blog that their mother had something called a cricket box. It seems that the Chinese kept crickets in a small box, with holes, as a warning devise. If someone entered the room at night the crickets would stop chirping and warn the occupant. Why are there no crickets in Melbourne? When I was growing up in Perth there were crickets and grasshoppers everywhere. Instead, our garden is simply screeching with cicadas - also beautiful, but perhaps not so melodious!

Do have a lovely holiday all of you! Take care and have good times with your family.

5 comments:

PROUD WOMAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PROUD WOMAN said...

cricket boxes, prisons - what's in a name? the 'practice' of imprisoning crickets started in the tang dynasty - the same dynasty that was responsible for the introduction of foot binding - 'entertainment' for these poor crippled women perhaps? the 'song' is actually the male's mating call...

then the song dynasty following took it one step further and introduced 'cricket fighting' - the mind boggles...

wouldn't actually call them 'lucky creatures' - but it is typical of human treatment of nature...

definitely a lovely crafted box - but no doubt an item of cruelty for its occupant who is unable to fly, jump or mate...

Sailor Lily said...

Lyle is just wearing the BESTEST grin in that pic. Happy Christmas and NEw Year, and see you soon!

Sailor Lily said...

dear Wize: what high dudgeon indeed.
I ate chicken and 'fruit of the pig' yesterday. Can we still be friends???
lily-feeling-wicked
te he he

PROUD WOMAN said...

not 'high dudgeon' lil... just reality and the truth... we're still friends unless i'm not allowed my opinions...