Saturday, January 2, 2010

The new year

Well I hope you all had splendid holidays. Mr C and I spent a relaxing time watching old movies, reading post war thrillers (Communists!) and catching up on children's lit. At least, that's what I did over the holidays - Mr C tolerated all these things admirably and cooked a cracking good Christmas dinner too. While not frightfully keen on New Year's resolutions I do solemnly swear I shall endeavour to worry less from now on. Though not making such a cracking start at this as already the thought of the new job is giving me a headache. And then I start to worry about characters in films: what happens to Mrs Miniver? It's only 1942 in the film, so pretty soon her husband will be called up (surely Walter Pidgeon isn't that old) and rationing will really hit. I'm not sure how well Mrs Miniver will cope on her three cups of tea a day. And what about when she realises she killed her daughter in law (I'm sorry, but I do feel that she is partly responsible)? And then there's Greta Garbo in Grand Hotel. She swans off not knowing her lover is dead, her faithful servants shielding the news from her. So of course I'm worrying about what will happen when she finds out or, worse, doesn't find out and so thinks he has abandoned her. Sorry, at a bit of a low ebb with blogging - I'm sure you don't need to hear how many days I spent on the sofa in my pyjamas watching Orson Welles unsuccessfully pretending to be a gullible Irishman and worrying about Rita Hayworth taking up smoking (The lady from Shanghai - don't go there!) And then my beloved briefly toyed with the idea of going back to being a war correspondent. Of course darling, if that's what you want - never mind the fact that you GOT SHOT last time. And thankfully it turned out that it isn't what he wants after all or else I would have fair fainted clean away. And New Year's Eve always gets me a bit teary - it's all the pretty fireworks! So here's Dame Vera Lynn, with a song that always makes me cry (and I find the servicemen singing along with her gets me a bit weepy.) And a happy New Year to you too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

larrythelibrarian said...

I love this time of year when we have permission to do nothing if we wish.
Your New year sounds fab to me. I am watching the entire series of Night Stalker as my indulgence.

congrats on new position

Proud Womon said...

oooh, i loved darren mcgavin as kolchak in the original series...