Wednesday, January 27, 2010

O the drama!

Disaster on the home front! It was bound to happen at some stage...

Poor old Jack cat wet himself in the bed. He came out for dinner completely soggy and was popped straight into the bathtub for a scrub. The bed wasn't so lucky. I mopped up what I could then sprinkled it with baking soda. Popped a towel on top and stacked a mountain of cookbooks on so as to soak out what I could. Bunged the sheets in the laundry. Dried mattress with hairdryer. Burst into tears. Mattress ended up not so bad but we'll have to get a new one. And mattresses are uber expensive! Mental state hasn't recovered as well. My poor love is getting old and I don't like it. Jack now has a nest in the living room and seems very happy with the new arrangement. Poor old stick...

The other thing that has made for a rocky home life is the decision to spend Australia Day on a CRAFT PROJECT. I don't know what came over me. I decided to knit myself a floral brooch. I have never knitted before in my life but I had a book and, really, how hard can it be? My nanna could knit and watch the Wheel of Fortune at the same time. My mum knits and is still happily married. Well it turns out that knitting isn't as straightforward as I imagined. It also emerges that I am completely and utterly incapable of knitting and doing anything else at the same time. It also turns out that if I try and knit again Mr C will leave me. (And I don't know any of the passwords for the computer so this would be a very bad thing indeed.) I think that I did a jolly good job. This is probably the only glimpse you'll get of it because it needs a brooch backing and I'll probably never get around to buying one.

So, knitting urge satisfied. Really, those 40s ladies were way more talented than I. Some of the old patterns were astoundingly complicated. I can see that knitting would have been a very soothing wartime occupation. You certainly can't be worrying about anything while you're trying to count stitches! From now on I'll be begging my mother to knit me some winter woolies. I'm dying to have a new vest for winter.

At the moment I'm reading a book called The Wartime Kitchen and Garden by Jennifer Davies. It's a fabulous read. Full of recipes for Spam and beetroot sandwiches. I find it stressful enough thinking of things for dinner as it is, let alone trying to do it on rations. I'll write more about this when I've finished. I have to say that Spam is exercising a fatal fascination. Will I be able to resist its lures?

5 comments:

Admin - SBNG said...

It's not the knitting. It's the tennis, the knitting, the couching and the endless stream of old movies!!!

Proud Womon said...

can totally empathise where old jack is concerned - my old girl has been incontinent for a while now...

i'm horrified you don't know the passwords for the computer - where's that independent woman i used to know?

donnasoowho said...

Ray loves spam. He buys a tin of it every now and then.

I think your knitting proj. looked quite good for a novice knitter? Not exactly a peggy square! Can't wait to see you modelling it ;-)

Curvy Kitty said...

I WAS BEING FUNNY!!!!! sheesh! won't try that again. I am so going to get me some spam.

Anonymous said...

Your knitting is excellent. Well done. Mr C needs to be trained in knitting etiquette: No conversation and nothing doing until the row is finished.
Send pattern and the vest will be done. We have a wool shop here. Mum