Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stupid things I have done part 457

Ok, so you may have noticed it's been a little hot of late. (I've got that stupid Marilyn Monroe song in my head, you know 'We're having a heatwave....') Our little apartment is fine on Insanely Hot Day No. 1 but after that it's all down hill. Cats collapse in heaps on the bathroom floor. Iceberg lettuce is a regular menu item. The tap has to run for fifteen minutes before it runs cold. Cycling is out of the question. There is much sitting about in underwear. Tempers, if we must be honest, get a little frayed. But in all this there is a shining light - you see, we have, through much wrangling, international txting, crossing of fingers and outright begging, we have managed to get our hands on a magic set of pool keys. A friend of ours, currently away in South Africa, lives in an aparment block with an indoor pool - an indoor pool that never ever gets used - and it's just around the corner from our house. So when as the temperature hits 45 my beloved suggested a cooling dip in the refreshing waters you'd think I would have shimmied into my togs (very cute two piece with a little skirt) in an instant. Instead I said - 'nah, couldn't be bothered'. People almost collapsed when I related this story at work today. I think I came very close to being lynched and the precious pool key ripped from my dying grasp and delivered into more deserving hands. Mr C's reaction was pretty much like that. I swear he didn't speak to me for an hour or so. But I work in air conditioned splendour. I was actually rather cool at work and wore my cardi for a bit. And my book was very very exciting. Yes, stupid, I know.

Because I imagine that by sharing this with you I am in some way passing it on and therefore getting it out of my head and into yours - here's Marilyn with that stupid song. 'She started a heatwave, by letting her seat wave.' Dear, dear, dear....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

bet you that indoor pool is being used now by the tenants - 'we're havin' a heat wave....'

Sailor Lily said...

but it's a FABULOUS song!

Curvy Kitty said...

Not if it's in your head 24 hours a day!