Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kate in the kitchen

I would have loved some photos of me baking away in a frilly apron but I don't have one. Frankly, I make too much of a mess to have anything pretty that might get dirtied up but it is on my list of things to get. So just imagine me in a floral pinny and you'll know where I'm coming from.

Sunday was baking day! I made a friend's grandmother's coconut cake. I'll confess right now that the reason I baked this because it is a WWII recipe - no eggs, butter, though with more sugar than I would have expected, baked in the oven straight after the roast to save fuel. It is an undeniably beige cake. All it contains is one cup of self raising flour, one cup of sugar, one cup of coconut and one cup of milk. I splodged in some orange oil - firstly because oils and flavourings were common when you couldn't get your hands on the real thing but also because orange and coconut are Spencer Tracey and Katharine Hepburn, they rub along quite nicely together. The recipe was a tad minimalist (Mix, Bake, Eat) and didn't include a cooking time so I had to guess. Turns out I guessed a little wrong. Because of the lack of butter / eggs there's nothing to sticky up your cake tester, so though it comes out clean, your cake may still be sticky. I gave it about half an hour but I think it could have used a little longer - I probably would have covered the top with alfoil to stop it getting too brown in this case. I also used moist coconut so this could also have upped the sticky factor. I'd originally baked this so that I could be neighbourly and invite folks over for an impromptu afternoon tea. Turns out I thought it was a little too sticky to share so we had to eat it all ourselves. Oh the pity of it all!Beige cake mix
Into the oven

Radar ears hopes some cake will fall in his mouth

Nice crispy outside, smells amazing!

Yum!

After jogging for a month I finally fit into my Vivian of Holloways trousers. Super duper comfortable and great for dancing in. Also got my new snood on. Not so sure about this. My hair is normally so tightly tied back that it doesn't move - this just feels a bit loose and precarious. I spent the whole day worrying that it would fall off, despite all the pins! I think I would have been a turban girl.

Vivien of Holloway 1940s trousers, V of H shirt and snood from Darling Sisters

And now we're going out to dinner. Yay for not having to cook! Next on the baking list: Grandma's ginger cake with 'mock cream that defies all notions of cooking'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are unutterably cute!

By far my most fav '40's blogger!

Wonderful pants and such a fetching top: I just love it.

I wouldn't worry about the snood feeling a little loose - they do tend to feel that way. It looks divine!

Well done and keep up the wonderful posts.

Anonymous said...

I could almost smell the cake. I must try it. Snood, trousers look spectacularly you. Did I send you the photo of me in my Stepford wife apron? It felt fabulous until I sinfully wiped my hands on it in a moment of forgetfulness.
M

Curvy Kitty said...

A: Oh that's very sweet of you to say... Thanks for the encouragement with the snood. I now own two so I'm determined to get some use out of them.

M: oh dear for the S.W. apron! All I'll say, it was bound to happen eventually