Friday, April 23, 2010

Attention to detail

It's not all serious book learning at El Casa del Chairman. Operation Glove Hunt is underway! There are some beautiful gloves available online but with my rather, ahem, broad hands I really need to buy locally. I've found three potential winners (sadly, not the beautiful gloves pictured). They're a bit more than I can afford right now. But they're the last pairs! I can only hope no one else is thinking of gloves while it's still so surprisingly warm for autumn!

We also found time to play in a hat store, which was very silly but very amusing. The chap in the store was particularly enthusiastic. He kept bobbing behind the counter to bring me goodies from 'out the back'. We solemnly discussed the merits of the ivory fascinator with veil as opposed to the saucer shaped number with the feathers. Then there were the intricacies of Panama hat design. There's a couple in Melbourne - Truffaux - who make beautiful Panamas. They had the lovely idea of using their vintage car as a photobooth, taking pictures of folks wearing their pieces. A great idea, particularly as the car is such a beauty. Sadly, the folk of Melbourne don't look so flash in hats and the photos are pretty ordinary. But you get the idea...


There's also the fabulous hat store beneath Flinders Street Station, the City Hatters (est. 1910). I've never been there but the original shop fittings and old style displays make it a real treasure. They sell some wonderful Trilbys, with their little tufts of feathers, and the Homburg, made famous by Winston Churchill. And not a pork pie hat in sight...

There's a reason for all this madness! (Apart from the fact that the 40s were very much about a finished 'look' - with attention being paid to gloves, hats, shoes, bags and belts). My father has just announced that he will be marrying in the spring. So Mr C and I will be heading over to Perth for a beachside ceremony. I've snapped up a dress on sale at Vivien of Holloways - you'll get a sneak peek once it arrives from London. So now I'm hunting for finishing touches. As it's an outside wedding we think hats might be the go, though I may opt for a simple flower in the hair. I'll see what you think once you see the dress. I'm quite excited to be frocking up and am very much looking forward to seeing my sister, who also lives in Perth.

After all this larking about with hats, it was the obvious time to go on a trip to Ikea to pick up a $15 shower curtain. It is as ghastly in its off peak times as it is on the weekend. I would have liked to have said that we went to Ikea for dinner but I wasn't very hungry so we shared a $1 hotdog. We manage to resist most things in Ikea (though the cat blankets were very hard to pass up) but we always get lured into the food section. This time we controlled ourselves. Resisting the temptation of the 17 different varieties of herring, we made off with some orange biscuits, chocolate and elderflower cordial. A thoroughly silly evening!

5 comments:

Proud Womon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Proud Womon said...

don't you hate that you can't edit typos from comment once published - guess that's why there's a 'preview' button...

apart from ikea (a very scary torturous maze!!!) your post is evocative of my mothers younger life - but i asked her the other day and she was adamant she'd never want to revisit that era!!!

donnasoowho said...

Shared a $1 hotdog? What is happening to you? Remember the time we went and had all those meatballs and chips and green cake? I am going baby shopping at ikea soon... Cat blankets!

Curvy Kitty said...

Donna if you would like company on your baby jaunt i would be most happy to attend. As long as we can stop off for meatballs. Mmm! Princess cake... I was devastated that I wasn't hungry!

Proudie, I had to delete a comment from your blog just the other day because of the typos! I'm not sure that I'd want to revisit that era either! I love my iphone too much! I admire your mother for getting through it the first time and I do love to see photos of her so do encourage her to share!

Admin - SBNG said...

Well, I think the '40's really suit you. I think you looked utterly FABULOUS in that hat and I can't wait to get suited up to go to your father's wedding.