Sunday, May 30, 2010

The awful truth

Ok, confession time - and I am most truly ashamed and embarrassed to say this...

I had noticed that my hair had become a bit knotty so I decided to give it a thorough combing. Now I have to say that I'm not wildly keen about looking after my hair. I love my curls and think it's fabulous to have such thick hair - but it gets so terribly knotted, can take a good 40 minutes to wash and even longer to dry, and then it ends up in one monumental afro boof! It all seems a bit 'oh the drama' so I don't spend much time bothering with maintenance. Until now...

Soon into the combing I realised that I had a bit of a problem. The knots were extremely painful to get out and it didn't take me long to discover the awful truth - I had dreadlocks! Yep, great big matted, knotted clumps of hair. I begged Mr C to help me. He was reluctant to get involved in something that would hurt me but seeing as I was already hurting myself I didn't really care. It took an hour or so of careful combing (and not so careful pulling and tugging) to get the worst of it out. By that stage I looked like Diana Ross in one of her enormous wigs. I'm pretty sure this isn't a 1940s style!

Oh dear

So it turns out that I am not responsible enough to own long hair. I've made an appointment to have it cut and was quite excited about the thought of having more easy-care locks. Except now I'm getting a bit worried and frightfully attached to my hair. I'm scared! The big question is should I maintain my Victory Rolls or get it cut even shorter??? What do you think?

My new hair cut?

It's always a bit of a gamble with my hairdresser - never sure exactly how much she follows my instructions! And I'm never entirely sure how the curls are going to behave. Still, it will be nice to have a bit of a makeover, particularly to get my hair dyed and no longer have depressingly grey locks peeking through. I am so vain.

3 comments:

donnasoowho said...

Go shorter for a change - hair always grows back? I like your hair a bit shorter. Ray will be SO disappointed that he didn't get to see the full fro. You know he'd make you belly pork or something just to see that.

Curvy Kitty said...

Sorry Ray, but pork belly isn't nearly enough to make me go through that pain again! Maybe when it's shorter...

Sailor Lily said...

I've bounced between a 'bob' of some kind and longer hair for the last decade and it's great fun. From a bob hair grows back to long pretty quickly, and the chin-length makes curling easy. It's also easy to keep up with colour and treatments on slightly shorter hair. Enjoy!