Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween: boo!

I know it's the height of indulgence to share my dreams with you but last night I dreamt I went to a Halloween party dressed as RMIT's Storey Hall. Strange, no?



I also know that we don't celebrate Halloween here but I thought I'd be appropriately seasonal with this clip from the Brian Sisters. The Brian Sisters came to fame when Pappa Brian took himself off and Mamma Brian struggled to raise her kids solo during the Depression. Spurred on by the success of Shirley Temple Mrs Brian put her girls on the stage. And they were a hit! Playing clubs such as the Trocadero, many radio shows and appearing as cameos in about 13 films. They were playing on CBS radio when their act was interrupted to announce the bombing of Pearl Harbour. During the war they performed in charity gigs and bond drives. Here's the Boogie Woogie Boogie Man. Oh bother. I'll fix the link tomorrow!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Sailor Lily said...

o my god! they sing exactly how my Mum learned (she was born in 1940 and sang in talent shows as a child). She still sings like that at 70 and all through my childhood we were two parts of old three-part harmony numbers! What a treat that was. Do you sing? we should do some numbers at work.

Curvy Kitty said...

While I sing with great enthusiasm I am woefully incapable of holding a tune. I will say that I have never once let this deter me.