Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Meatless Mondays

America went for voluntary rationing during World War 1. It didn't work so well but one of the things that did survive was Meatless Monday. Initially promoted by Hoover as a means of limiting meat consumption during a time of shortage, it reappeared in World War 2.


















I've a great cartoon about saving fats for production of glycerine for explosives.






So this week we're having a meat free week. Last night we had du Puy lentils and roast field mushrooms with garlic and rosemary. I dunno why I thought it was cold but I finished this off with a wintery red cabbage dish. Tonight we're having an Ethiopian meal: a red lentil stew, with injeri and braised silver beet. Not v WWII I know!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad






4 comments:

donnasoowho said...

does lard count as meat? Cause you could have dripping sandwiches?

Curvy Kitty said...

Unless it was Wheatless Wednesday!

Proud Womon said...

yum... your animal-free dishes sound wonderful - and there's just something 'homey' about lentils and flat bread hey...

Sailor Lily said...

sounds delish- we've been doing meat-free Monday for a while. I love my red lentil curry with green beans recipe best.