Friday, January 28, 2011

Cooking with the stars

In an effort to convince folk that Hollywood stars were 'just like you and me' and that being a glamourous vamp on screen didn't compromise one's domesticity, movie fan mags used to include favorite recipes of the stars. There's a great project called Silver Screen suppers that is collecting these recipes to be published in a book at some stage. Volunteer bloggers from all over the world offer to be test cooks - I'm still waiting to see who I'll get!

In the meantime you can enjoy a treat with Ginger Rogers! This is from a book called Favorite Foods of Famous Stars, a 1934 publication from the Norge refrigerator company.




Date butterscotch pudding

1/4 cup minute tapioca
A something of salt. I can't quite make it out. Let's just say a pinch.
2 cups hot water
3 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped dates

Cook tapioca and salt in water until tapioca is clear, stirring frequently. Melt butter in saucepan, add sugar and stir until melted. Add tapioca mixture, vanilla and dates. Pour in buttered baking dish and bake 30 minutes in moderate oven. Cool. Fill sherbet dishes with this pudding and allow to chill in Norge. Serve with cream. (Serves 6)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

donnasoowho said...

What be a Sherbert dish - and where can I get one?

Lya de Putti said...

Hey Kitty, thanks for the mention of my blog! Oh, the Ginger Rogers Butterscotch Pudding still makes me shudder and is POSSIBLY the worst thing I have cooked during the whole 4 year project!

Am working my way through requests for recipes so hope to get to you soon! Lots of love from Jenny at Silver Screen Suppers...