Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mr Mailman how I love you

More exciting arrivals in the mail, including some that I'd completely forgotten about.






But sadly, there was one that got away. I'd had my eyes on this for a while but missed out to some other lucky girl. Needless to say, it was the embroidery that captured my heart. But now I've a picture of it I'm sure I can replicate it at some stage. No, I don't actually know how to embroider, but it's on my list of things to learn this year.



I've also picked up some trimmings. I think I'll turn these first ones into corsages, with some brooch fixings from my jewelry making sister. Eventually, I aim to try my hand at making a fascinator - perfect for afternoon teas at the gallery!









I know I haven't been very chatty lately. I've been busy researching war time cooking in preparation for my Silver Screen Supper recipe test. I'll be trying out Veronica Lake's recipe for spiced beef. More on that soon! I've read a few books on deception in war time - one of my favorite topics - but got a bit side tracked by a book on Pozieres. I confess to not knowing terribly much about the First World War beyond Gallipoli, that trench warfare was ghastly and the recognition of shell shock. The author is coming to talk at the St Kilda Library just before Anzac Day so I thought I should familiarize myself with it first. It's very engaging so far but does remind me why I rarely read books on campaigns: I'm hopeless at remembering all the commanders and their respective positions and battalions. I keep having to flick backwards and forwards to understand what is happening. (Completely my fault, not the author's!) Looking forward to the talk, which is almost booked out. Yay!

No sewing at this stage because I can't afford any material just yet.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

donnasoowho said...

Did you get anything else int he mail yet?

Curvy Kitty said...

Why yes, I did! One beautiful jar of chutney arrived the day you left. It's the Soo Memorial Condiment! Yum!

donnasoowho said...

oh good, was hoping it didn't get broken in the mail!

Curvy Kitty said...

The lid was completely unscrewed but nothing bad happenedvat all!