Thursday, May 26, 2011

Flame and Citron




This film about two members of the Danish Holger Danske Resistance Group is heartbreaking. Flame and Citron carry out assassinations of Danes who collaborate with the Nazis or inform against other Resistance fighters. Of course, there's a traitor in the midst but this is handled with more originality and honesty than you may have seen before. This is a film about ethics. What action is appropriate in war time? How are you to deal with committing violent actions you would ordinarily have shunned? Should you resist if it leads to reprisals against innocent people? How are foreign powers to deal with Resistance activities that may put military operations at risk? What I thought honest was the depiction of various Resistance groups, each with their separate political agendas (also done well in The Secret Army). Very sad, very handsome to look at and highly recommended. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

warmoviebuff said...

Just watched it recently and you do a good job outlining some of the themes. I enjoyed the movie. It is well acted and has some suspense. I was a little perplexed by their ability to move around in broad daylight when being the most wanted men in Denmark and one of them having distinctive red hair. I have not checked on the accuracy yet.

Curvy Kitty said...

I had real problems finding out anything about them - do let me know if you turn something up. I was always wondering why there wasn't anyone in the streets while they did their killing?