Saturday, May 14, 2011

Scottie dogs!




Scottie dogs used to be super popular during the 20s, 30s and 40s. Myth has it that this was due to Roosevelt's puppy Fala - who certainly did a lot to boost the breed's popularity - but the truth is that Scotties were popular from after WW1. During these decades Scotties turn up on everything. Famous Scottie dog owners included Shirley Temple, Humphry Bogart, Bette Davis and Dorothy Lamour. And Eva Braun, but I don't think we'll use her as a guide. And of course, there's FDR and Fala. This dog was so famous a fight it had with another dog was reported in Time Magazine. Roosevelt made the famous Fala speech, where he countered rumors that he'd sent a destroyer to pick up the dog - at the cost of several millions of dollars.


Then there are the pin up puppies...





Textiles









Tea towels


I don't know if you can see but apart from the buttons there are Scottie dogs on the skirt too.


Appliqué! I'm going to try this. If I can. The quilting and the pin tucks look a bit tricksy.
Home wares...





I'm besotted! Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: