Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The music of angels


June 21 is Fete de la Musique! All over the world Alliance Francaise organises free music in unexpected places. This year we worked with them to present two classical music performances at the St Kilda library. It was my first day back at work and we'd arranged the afternoon in a bit of a hurry so I was a bit unsure about what was actually happening (and if I could cope!) I needn't have worried, it was beautiful. We had students from the Australian National Academy of Music who live in the old South Melbourne Town Hall. A chamber group performed music by Bach and Mozart - so beautiful you could cry. Then students from the Melbourne Conservatorium sang ancient music. I've never heard the library so quiet as when they started with an austere 13th century religious piece. Magnificent. And people turned up. Phew! Now = tired but happy.

No comments: