Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Paris in July




Always one to plan ahead, I've just decided to take part in Thyme For Tea and Bookbath's Paris in July blog celebration of Paris and all things French. Which means I have one day to get myself sorted. I'll be putting aside my war books (probably NOT what they had in mind) to focus on my first love - vintage mysteries. I've spent the evening reserving library books (which may mean that my Paris in July becomes Paris in 2012 - you never can tell when those inter library loans will come in!) To give the National Library time to decide if they want to lend me some 1940s books I'll start with Simenon's Maigret as I've got a few of those kicking around the house. So far the potential reading list includes:

Maigret and the enigmatic Lett / Georges Simenon
The double death of Frederic Belot / Claude Aveline
The blackmailers / Emile Gaboriau
Arsene Lupin, gentleman-thief / Maurice Leblanc
Fantomas / Pierre Souvestre and Marcel Allain

I've had to broaden my notion of both 'vintage' and 'mystery' as I am at the mercy of translators and the Australian library system. So I have two backup films - Rififi (technically a heist film but I've got a copy so that makes it an emergency contender) and an unknown film based on an early French mystery novel whose name escapes me and which I've currently loaned to my mother. I do remember seeing a film of Fantomas but it might be pushing it to find a copy in an Australian library.

All this while watching le Tour! Please join me in all things French this month - be it cooking a meal, listening to So Frenchy So Chic or hanging out with Proust. Leave a comment and let me know what you've been up to!

(Links to the other blogs will come once I can get my hands on the laptop. Blogger app - she no like links.)

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

donnasoowho said...

I just did my TDF fantasy team! It's called 'foo bank'.

Hey we can Skype in bed now!

Curvy Kitty said...

My team always loses. Hope you didn't pick Contador!