Thursday, August 4, 2011

A new shirtwaist




My latest sewing! Though I have a bone to pick with the pattern grader on this one. I've made heaps of Simplicity patterns from the 1940s and I've never had to alter any of them. They're a perfect fit! So of course I didn't make a muslin first (I know! Stupid me.) This one turned out to be too short in the waist. It's also a bit voluminous around the waist, all cunningly disguised by a belt. Would I make it again? I actually love the way it looks on, so yes, definitely - with a proper fitting next time!



Bottle green gaberdine and vintage 40s buttons from L'Ucello.






My latest set. Three hours at the hairdresser. One night to fall out. I'll be sticking to my home sets in the future!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

donnasoowho said...

Wow that looks tricksy sewing!! I haven't gotten very far with my skirt. I think I am going to give up soon....

Curvy Kitty said...

Don't give up! Get Margaret to help you! I thought it was looking pretty good from what I saw. One thing I recommend is not leaving it too long between sessions. I lose confidence when I take a break. I feel like I'm learning how to sew each time I get the machine out!

Vagabonde said...

I have not used the old machine in a long time – have been busy knitting and crocheting baby blankets. Those dresses don’t look that easy to me.

Curvy Kitty said...

Wish I could knit and crochet!

Anonymous said...

I love your hair. Can you do it like that?? It suits you off the face. Love the dress but far too hard for me. I hate waists (that's why I was so good at sewing in the 1960s when waists were out amd mini skirts were in!!!) Well done on persevering. You're getting better and better.
Mum