Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Land Army Girl - part 2

In which we understand the value of curators and our heroine eats too much...



My very tolerant family took me to a World War 2 'museum' in Portland - otherwise known as a heap of old stuff shoved in a room all higgeldy piggeldy. Oddly it was in an old water tower. No war connection, just an old tower they had lying around. You can see the quality of exhibits above. Really, it was rather endearing and there were a few good bits about the war in Portland. And a beautiful view from the top.



Then we were clearly in need of more food. Yummy fish and chips and lashings of Ginger beer!


Then off for a brisk constitutional along Shelly Beach - which actually is pretty much devoid of shells. In the 1930s they took them all away for shell grit for chickens.



Mum, Steve and no shells.


Mum and I did a quick tour of the local op shops having heard rumours of the Wall of Buttons. No special finds but we did go to a great craft shop to pick up some blue wool for this...



My wonderful mum is knitting me this, another 1940s pattern from Stitches in Time. And because we were practically fading away by this time mum cooked us a roast lamb dinner. With lemon meringue pie! Yum! And we watched Hitchcock's Young and Innocent (1937) based on a Josephine Tey mystery. Then time for bed.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Sailor Lily said...

Can I please borrow your Mum next time I'm ill? Waht a darling to take you to the museum and to bake pie too. Wishing you a lovely day on Friday for the anniversary of your arrival! The cardigan is extremely cute; can't ait to see it.

donnasoowho said...

Ohhhh I love the knitty knit! What a pity there's no need for knitted items in Queensland (4th day of spring, a zillion degrees today already!).

I've been giggling to myself all day about the person thinking you were in fancy dress. I have to say, the scarf does remind me a bit of Enid Sharples from Coronation Street....

Curvy Kitty said...

Yeah, my mum's pretty great!