Saturday, January 21, 2012

If I had a billionty one dollars...

I recently discovered how to use a thimble. Daft, I know. Turns out I've been hand sewing all wrong. I picked up some tips from a super serious tailoring site. Luckily, mum gave me a vintage thimble last time I visited and it fits perfectly - now I know it goes on the middle, not index, finger. Another tip is to hold the needle way down towards the tip, as far from the tip as you want your stitch size to be. I really need to practice! Thimbles go back to the 1st century AD and they are considered highly collectible (collectors are known as digitabulists). And no wonder. Look at this beauty in a wooden, acorn shaped holder. In Victorian times thimbles were given as love tokens, which I think is a charming idea. And I take a size 9. Just letting you'd know. And check out this little guy! How cute is he? He holds pins, a thimble and thread reels, with a little drawer for buttons. - Toodle Pip!

3 comments:

donnasoowho said...

So cute! Right now if I had a billionty one dollars I'd buy all this retro art deco glassware off Ebay...

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the thimble is being used. Don't forgt I have a few more. The photos are gorgeous.
Want to see photo of new frock.
Mum

Curvy Kitty said...

Ya! More thimbles! Don't you use them for your needlework?