I know I studied the pattern. But clearly comprehension wasn't on the agenda that day. I was so busy looking at the wretched pleats that I didn't look at anything else - which means that I ran into a few problems... Like sewing the collar on back to front. Like using new interfacing that I now think is rubbish. I got up to look at it in the middle of the night, convinced I'd sewn the skirt on backwards. And I had. I've said this before but this time I mean it - never sewing from a mail order pattern again. Meant for rural and poorer folk, they were cheaply produced - I've never found one that doesn't have a problem. Lines that should be straight - curve. Front pieces are longer than back pieces. The seam allowances are a miserly 3/8" - absolutely no room for error or alteration - or fraying seams. Pattern pieces don't exist - I found I needed to draft particular pieces myself. I'm annoyed that I made so many mistakes. I don't know where my head was at. But I will say, for a disaster, it's very pretty. Just got to cut OVER ONE FOOT off the hem (ie, most of my lovely pleats) and then we're done. Sigh. Need. New. Head. - Toodle Pip!