Monday, March 26, 2012

Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead piping

I know I studied the pattern. But clearly comprehension wasn't on the agenda that day. I was so busy looking at the wretched pleats that I didn't look at anything else - which means that I ran into a few problems... Like sewing the collar on back to front. Like using new interfacing that I now think is rubbish. I got up to look at it in the middle of the night, convinced I'd sewn the skirt on backwards. And I had. I've said this before but this time I mean it - never sewing from a mail order pattern again. Meant for rural and poorer folk, they were cheaply produced - I've never found one that doesn't have a problem. Lines that should be straight - curve. Front pieces are longer than back pieces. The seam allowances are a miserly 3/8" - absolutely no room for error or alteration - or fraying seams. Pattern pieces don't exist - I found I needed to draft particular pieces myself. I'm annoyed that I made so many mistakes. I don't know where my head was at. But I will say, for a disaster, it's very pretty. Just got to cut OVER ONE FOOT off the hem (ie, most of my lovely pleats) and then we're done. Sigh. Need. New. Head. - Toodle Pip!

3 comments:

donnasoowho said...

photo?

I have nothing to offer by way of advice. Except that I still haven't finished making my skirt....

Curvy Kitty said...

Ha! But your skirt is looking so good!

Photo when dress is finished,

Anonymous said...

Just remember not to buy those patterns again. Not sure I like the comment about 'poor rural folk' though!!!!!!
JR (who must always watch those pennies and lives in the country)