Tuesday, May 1, 2012

And Timmy the dog!

Orangeade, camp fires, smugglers, gypsy caravans, strange lights signalling in the night…


This year marks the 70th anniversary of the Famous Five! I don’t care what anyone says about Enid Blyton. Yes, she apparently was a nasty piece of work. Yes, the books aren’t exactly literature. Yes, they contain outdated opinions and attitudes that may be considered offensive – the whitewashing of such in recent reissues being a touchy subject. But how great where the books when you were growing up?! I absolutely devoured them. I wanted to be George, marry Julian, have a loyal dog and would happily have eaten cold tongue sandwiches with Dick and Anne. Apparently the supposed library bans are a furphy – never happened. One of the more amusing summations of Blyton’s work is by the BBC, who frequently rejected her submissions to broadcast her work: Her capacity… [to churn out mediocre material] amounts to genius...anyone else would have died of boredom long ago. - Toodle Pip!

3 comments:

donnasoowho said...

I love Enid blyton. Orangeade and potted meat. That's WIZARD!

Anonymous said...

let me show you my best party trick- I can SIGN HER NAME!!
loved all her stuff but like you the FF were my faves. And I have my Mum's hardback copies from the late forties with the original line drawings (about 7 only now unfortunately) and they are beautiful. Jolly good!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Oh they were my absolute favourites and I am glad that legacy was passed on to you! What a pity I didn't take our 1950s copies from Mum when I had the chance. The settings were so exotic (well, I was reading them in faraway Perth_), but I always wanted to go walking on the moors along a disused railway track and have a picnic on the cliffs (and possibly seeing mysterious lights from the lighthouse on the nearby island. )
JR