Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A nightmare to remember

I’m going to make a vow. I’m not sure that I’ll be able to stick with it, but I’ll make it nonetheless. I hereby vow to give up war movies for three months. But that doesn’t include homefront films. Geez, trying to negotiate already! The problem began with a film that had nothing to do with the war: A Night to Remember. This is a 1958 film about the sinking of the Titanic. This film is so very, very sad. I ended up bawling my eyes out, sobbing on the floor and getting Mr George’s fur all wet. And then I had nightmares about it. Mr C asked me what exactly I expected from a Titanic film and me saying that it was the most accurate film on the topic really didn’t justify my decision to watch it. Perhaps from some misguided notion that ‘the truth must be faced’. In any case, it was a bad bad bad idea. I think it’s a bipolar thing. I watch an upsetting film and worry about it in my head for weeks afterwards. So, no more upsetting films!


But that’s ok because homefront films are really my favourite anyway and I’ve lots more happy happy films to see me through. I watched a Carole Lombard film – Nothing Sacred – and that was hilarious. Until I remembered that Carole died very sadly in a plane crash while out selling war bonds. Then I watched my first Deanna Durbin film And I LOVED IT. And I think it’s ok because I’m sure she led a very long and happy life. Oh just checked, she’s still alive and a recluse! Well you can’t get much happier than that. She's probably sitting around the house in her pajamas watching old movies, cuddling the cat and eating peanut butter cups. - Toodle Pip!

1 comment:

donnasoowho said...

You funny lady :-).