Friday, August 31, 2012

Paris is lovely in the summertime



Woah! Days have flown by so we're going to have to skip Berlin for now. We're in Paris, in a little apartment in Republique - and I've never felt so fat and frumpy in my life! Each week there's a local market in the square, where I shopped for sweet fragrant strawberries, some vegetables for our dinner and a slice of magnificent terrine. Then off to the butchers for a roast chicken, the boulangerie for some bread and the patisserie for the most delectable little Paris-Brest cake. I have eaten myself senseless. And guess what? The French have been really lovely. Except for one chap who was so so rude it made us giggle. On our first day we went on a stroll down Rue de Rivoli, past le Louvre and Musee d'Orsay, along the Seine - stopping off at Cafe Voltaire for a cup of tea - through the Tuileries and on to l'Arc de Triomphe. I spent most of the morning saying: I'm in Paris... I'm in Paris... I'm in Paris; and had to hold on tightly to my husband's hand so that I didn't just fall over in the street with my mouth gaping open! Today we slept in, had a croissant for breakfast and strolled through Montmarte (via a bike store!) Montm is not very nice. But right at the top of the hill is Sacre Coeur and that was very nice indeed. Once back in our neighbourhood we stopped for the best omelette in the world and managed to convince the waiter to sell us the milk jug I was admiring (dreadful tourists, I know!) Tomorrow we move to another apartment, on the Left Bank and then we'll go to say hello to the Eiffel Tower!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sooooo jealous. It all sounds tres magnifique. How are you coping with the language????
We shall be following in your footsteps. I noticed you were wearing a cardigan so I gather it's not too hot. Market shopping sounds sublime and you know I am always up for an omelette and a creme caramel. Looking forward to reading more. I don't supopose you passed Rue de Serpente and the Hotel du Lys in the Latin Quarter??? Lots of love Mum

Curvy Kitty said...

We're staying in the Latin Quartier now and it's just lovely. I'll take a look on the map for your hotel. I got sunburnt my first day but it was a bit cooler today. Not really cardi weather just yet. French is ok, but my German was sooo much better! Went to Notre Dame and le Louvre today - all very overwhelming! There's a market around the corner tomorrow morning and I hope to buy some of the delicious peaches and raspberries!

donnasoowho said...

PIE!

Anonymous said...

oh wow. just- wow. you lucky lucky couple of honeymooners you! amanda

Anonymous said...

Happy happy Birthday, Sweetheart from Dad and Graziella (whom I have introduced to your blog) This coulod be the start of something big.
Good news - the Swannies had a big win yesterday. How about that, eh????
Kate, Graziella is now fretting that you don't want us to read your blog. Is it OK?
Do you have your phone with you and, if so, what is the best way to operate it for when we go away in a couple of weeks?

Love you both and wish you a great day.
Love Dad and the Italian.

Curvy Kitty said...

Of course you should read the blog! You're most welcome here. It's a good way for us to keep in touch seeing as we are so far away from you.