Thursday, April 2, 2015

Old life - new life

It's been a while. The Victory Garden died. My hair was cut short. The vintage dress replaced with a scar-easing smock. I went low maintenance at a time when life was feeling very high maintenance. And then came the chaos of med failure: fainting spells, falls and LOTS of scrapes and bruises.

But this week it all came good. In a manic burst of cleaning I tried on all my vintage clothes. So much no longer fits on my post surgery curves. But so much that has potential. Now I open my wardrobe to see a splash of richly coloured 1940s blouses all set for the russet days of autumn. And I feel like I've found myself again!

My Jean Seberg pixie is growing out. And the curls are back! I feel like sewing, pottering in the garden and planning knitting projects with mum. I'm poring over vintage patterns and looking at wool. I have a (modest) shopping list.

The time off work has given me sunshine mornings with Mr Kim. Being read to, laughing, eating wildly manic recipe experiments. Mum also has been to look after me - eating cake and cooking rice puddings in old style enamel tins. Doctors George, Jens and Dita have purred and snuggled and cuddled me back to health.

I feel like me again! Ready for new life, but not really regretting the old one. And the best new life of all? Miss Juno!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the term 'russet days'. Oh the knitting needles are at the ready. Am having to fill in time with coathanger covers!!!!
A big hug for Juno but don't forget Dita.
mum

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to see you back. I hope the rest of your day went well and you got in some pleasurable pottering or poring. The hair piece is perfect, thank you for the lend of it. I need to know more about this Juno!
Amanda